What is a Hawaiian Restaurant?
Hawaiian cuisine is a fusion of influences from Polynesian, Asian, and American cultures. A Hawaiian restaurant is a type of restaurant that specializes in serving traditional Hawaiian dishes, from fresh seafood to tender barbequed meats. Hawaiian restaurants can be found all over the world, offering a taste of the tropical and diverse culture of Hawaii.
What Can You Eat in a Hawaiian Restaurant?
Hawaiian cuisine is known for its fresh and bold flavors. Some of the most popular dishes that you can find in a Hawaiian restaurant include poke (marinated raw fish), kalua pork (slow-cooked pulled pork), laulau (steamed taro leaves filled with meat or seafood), loco moco (rice, hamburger patty, gravy, and egg), and spam musubi (spam and rice wrapped in seaweed). Vegetarian and vegan options are also available, such as tofu poke and grilled vegetable plates.
Where Can You Find Typical Hawaiian Restaurants in the US?
The United States is home to many Hawaiian restaurants, especially in states with a large Hawaiian population like California and Hawaii. Here are ten of the most well-known and popular Hawaiian restaurants in the US:
- Ono Hawaiian BBQ (Multiple locations)
- L&L Hawaiian Barbecue (Multiple locations)
- The Pig and The Lady (Honolulu, HI)
- Da Kitchen Cafe (Kahului, HI)
- Rainbow Drive-In (Honolulu, HI)
- Duke’s Waikiki (Honolulu, HI)
- Helena’s Hawaiian Food (Honolulu, HI)
- Huli Huli Chicken (San Francisco, CA)
- Aloha Kitchen (Las Vegas, NV)
- The Poke Shack (Kailua-Kona, HI)
Hawaiian Restaurants in Other Countries
Hawaiian cuisine is not as widely known as other cuisines, but it can be found in certain cities across the world. Here are ten examples of Hawaiian restaurants in different countries:
- Da Kine’s Plate Lunches in Vancouver, Canada
- Kua ‘Aina in London, UK
- Kau Kau Grill in Tokyo, Japan
- Wiki Wiki Sandbar in Brisbane, Australia
- Aloha Poke in Singapore
- Lanikai Juice in Zurich, Switzerland
- Makana in Paris, France
- Island Grill in Dubai, UAE
- Pau Hana Market in Seoul, South Korea
- Kahuku Shrimp in Abu Dhabi, UAE
What to Eat in a Hawaiian Restaurant
Hawaiian cuisine offers a variety of dishes with fresh flavors and unique twists on traditional foods. Some of the most popular dishes include:
- Poke (marinated raw fish)
- Kalua pork (slow-cooked pulled pork)
- Laulau (steamed taro leaves filled with meat or seafood)
- Loco moco (rice, hamburger patty, gravy, and egg)
- Spam musubi (spam and rice wrapped in seaweed)
- Teriyaki beef (marinated and grilled beef)
- Shoyu chicken (chicken marinated in soy sauce and other ingredients, then grilled or baked)
- Haupia (a coconut milk-based dessert)
- Macadamia nut crusted mahi-mahi (fish coated with macadamia nuts and served with a tropical fruit salsa)
- Garlic shrimp (shrimp cooked in a butter and garlic sauce)
Hawaiian hospitality is known for being warm and welcoming, with a focus on aloha spirit, which emphasizes kindness, unity, and humility.
Here are some popular Hawaiian dishes to consider ordering
When dining at a Hawaiian restaurant, there are many delicious dishes to choose from. Here are some popular Hawaiian dishes to consider ordering:
- Poke: This is a marinated raw fish dish that can be served on its own or with rice and other toppings.
- Kalua pork: This is a slow-cooked pulled pork dish that is traditionally cooked in an underground oven called an imu. It is often served with rice, macaroni salad, and poi (a mashed taro root dish).
- Laulau: This is a traditional Hawaiian dish made with steamed taro leaves that are filled with meat or seafood, like pork or butterfish.
- Loco moco: This is a comfort food dish that is made with a bed of rice, a hamburger patty, brown gravy, and a fried egg on top.
- Spam musubi: This is a snack or light meal that consists of a slice of spam and rice wrapped in seaweed.
- Teriyaki beef: This is a marinated and grilled beef dish that is often served with rice and macaroni salad.
- Shoyu chicken: This is a marinated chicken dish that is cooked in soy sauce and other ingredients, and is often served with rice and macaroni salad.
- Haupia: This is a traditional Hawaiian dessert that is made with coconut milk and is similar to pudding or custard.
- Macadamia nut crusted mahi-mahi: This is a fish dish that is coated with macadamia nuts and served with a tropical fruit salsa.
- Garlic shrimp: This is a shrimp dish that is cooked in a butter and garlic sauce and served with rice and other sides.
Also try this
When dining at a Hawaiian restaurant, it’s also a good idea to try some of the delicious tropical drinks, such as a mai tai, pina colada, or lava flow. And if you’re feeling adventurous, ask your server for other recommendations or specials of the day.
Whether you’re a fan of fresh seafood, tender meats, or sweet desserts, Hawaiian cuisine has something to offer for everyone. So go ahead and explore the delicious flavors of Hawaii at your nearest Hawaiian restaurant.
Finding Hawaiian Restaurants Near Me
If you’re looking for a Hawaiian restaurant near you, the easiest way to find one is to use Google Maps. Simply type in “Hawaiian restaurant near me” and a list of nearby options will appear. You can also filter by price range, rating, and other factors to find the perfect restaurant for your needs. Whether you’re in the US or another country, there are plenty of options to satisfy your cravings for Hawaiian food.