Brasseries: A Guide to Casual Dining. Brasseries are casual dining establishments that originated in France, serving up delicious food in a relaxed atmosphere. Whether you’re in the mood for a quick lunch or a leisurely dinner, a brasserie is the perfect place to satisfy your cravings. In this article, we’ll explore what a brasserie is, what you can expect to eat at a brasserie, and where to find typical brasseries in the United States and around the world.
What is a Brasserie?
A brasserie is a type of French restaurant that serves simple, hearty dishes in a casual setting. The term “brasserie” originally referred to a brewery, but it has since evolved to mean a casual restaurant that serves beer and wine alongside food. Brasseries are often known for their comfortable, welcoming atmosphere, and their menu typically features a mix of classic French dishes and more modern options.
What to Eat at a Brasserie
At a brasserie, you’ll find a range of delicious dishes to choose from, including classic French options and more modern flavors. Here are some of the most popular items you’ll find:
- Appetizers: Start your meal off with a selection of small bites, like escargot, charcuterie, or soup.
- Entrees: Expect to find a range of dishes, such as steak frites, mussels, quiche, and more.
- Desserts: Indulge in a sweet treat, like crème brûlée, tarte tatin, or profiteroles.
- Beverages: A selection of beverages, such as wine, beer, and cocktails, are usually available.
Typical Brasserie Food in the United States
Brasseries are a beloved dining option in the United States, and each region has its own unique style and flavor. Here are some of the most popular brasserie styles you’ll find across the country:
- French Brasseries: These brasseries often serve classic French dishes like steak frites, mussels, and quiche, as well as a selection of wines.
- American Brasseries: American brasseries often serve classic American dishes with a French twist, like burgers with brie, and are known for their craft beers and cocktails.
Some of the best brasseries in the United States include:
- Balthazar in New York, New York
- Cafe Degas in New Orleans, Louisiana
- La Brasserie in Chicago, Illinois
- Le Diplomate in Washington D.C.
- Luc in Denver, Colorado
- Zinqué in Los Angeles, California
- Le Garage in Sausalito, California
- Left Bank in Larkspur, California
- Jaleo in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Mon Ami Gabi in Las Vegas, Nevada
Brasseries Around the World
Brasseries can be found all over the world, offering a range of cuisine and dining styles. Here are some of the best brasseries around the world, and the unique flavors you’ll find in each country:
In France, you’ll find classic brasseries serving up traditional French dishes, like steak frites and mussels. Some of the best brasseries in France include:
- Le Comptoir du Relais in Paris
- Bofinger in Paris
- Brasserie Lipp in Paris
In Belgium, you’ll find cozy brasseries serving up traditional Belgian dishes, like moules frites and carbonnade. Some of the best brasseries in Belgium include:
- Brasserie De La Gare in Brussels
- Aux Armes de Bruxelles in Brussels
- La Brouette in Liege
In Canada, you’ll find a variety of brasseries serving up classic French and Canadian dishes, like poutine and steak frites. Some of the best brasseries in Canada include:
- Chez Victoire in Montreal, Quebec
- Le Select Bistro in Toronto, Ontario
- The Brasserie in Halifax, Nova Scotia
In Germany, you’ll find cozy brasseries serving up traditional German dishes, like sausages and schnitzel, as well as a selection of beers. Some of the best brasseries in Germany include:
- Paulaner am Nockherberg in Munich
- Prinzenquelle in Berlin
- Gasthaus Zum Alten Markt in Münster
In Italy, you’ll find casual brasseries serving up classic Italian dishes, like pasta and pizza, as well as a selection of wines. Some of the best brasseries in Italy include:
- Trattoria da Enzo al 29 in Rome
- Osteria del Pegno in Florence
- Trattoria Toscana in Florence
In Japan, you’ll find casual brasseries serving up small plates and drinks, like izakayas. Some of the best brasseries in Japan include:
- Echizen in Tokyo
- Kushibiki in Tokyo
- Kanahei in Osaka
Brasseries are a beloved dining option around the world, offering delicious food in a casual, relaxed atmosphere. Whether you’re in the mood for classic French dishes, creative modern cuisine, or a range of international flavors, there’s a brasserie restaurant out there for you. So next time you’re looking for a cozy spot to enjoy a delicious meal, head to a brasserie restaurant and indulge in the best food the world has to offer!
Brasserie near me
Looking for a cozy brasserie near you? You can easily find the best brasserie restaurants in your area with the help of Google Maps. Simply type in the words “brasserie near me see map below on this page” into the search bar, and Google Maps will show you a list of all the brasseries in your vicinity. (see below)
You can also filter your search results by distance, rating, or even cuisine, so you can find the perfect brasserie restaurant for your needs. Whether you’re in the mood for classic French dishes, creative modern cuisine, or a range of international flavors, you’re sure to find a restaurant that fits the bill.
So why wait? Start your search for the best brasserie restaurant near you today, and treat yourself to a delicious, casual meal that will transport you to another world!